Air conditioners can last for many years. And, during that time, it’s reasonable for them to occasionally require repairs. However, if you’re starting to wonder whether it’s better to keep investing in AC repair in West Chester, PA, or if it’s time to plan on replacing the unit entirely, there are some things you should keep in mind.
Some Repairs Are Simpler than Others
If you are facing another repair, it helps to know how extensive that repair might be, or whether the problem can be fixed completely enough to get your air conditioner working at its ideal capacity. Some repairs are fairly simple and can get your AC unit functioning smoothly so it will work for years to come.
- Weird noises: A rattle, bubble, or buzz is often caused by a problem with one specific component. When that part of the air conditioner is repaired, or the part is replaced, the unit can often be running beautifully with a much smaller investment from you than the cost of a new air conditioner.
- Refrigerant Leaks: You might notice a hissing noise or a strange smell, or you might just be aware that your air conditioner isn’t keeping your home as cool as it used to. A qualified, licensed technician can patch the leak and refill the coils with refrigerant.
- Short Cycling: If the cooling cycle starts and stops every couple of minutes, it could be caused by a variety of issues. Many of them can be addressed with repairs and don’t have to mean the end of your air conditioner’s life.
Some Repairs Are Not Worth It
If repairs have been getting more frequent, you’re surely wondering whether spending more money on yet another repair is worthwhile. You might be considering replacing your air conditioner with a newer model. But when is it really time to make that decision?
- Compressor Failure: The compressor is the most critical part of the AC unit. It pumps the refrigerant through the coils, and without it, you simply don’t have an air conditioner. If your AC unit is still under warranty and has received annual professional maintenance, you might be able to have the compressor replaced for just the cost of labor. Otherwise, the cost of replacing the compressor can easily be more than you would pay for a new unit.
- Too-Frequent Repairs: An air conditioner should be able to last quite a while, certainly more than a year, between repairs. If you’re finding that you can’t make it through a single summer without something going wrong and needing to be repaired, you should consider a new system.
- An Aging Air Conditioner: Your AC unit is meant to last quite a while. But if it’s well past the decade mark, it has a limited amount of life left. That may mean it makes better financial sense to invest in a new system rather than put a lot of money into an air conditioner that, at best, will only make it another handful of years.
At Platinum Plumbing and Heating, we want you to have all the information you need to make the decision that’s best for your home, your family, and your budget.
Contact Platinum Plumbing & Heating, Inc. today to schedule an appointment with our pros.